At Resource, we caught up with our Dutch counterparts at Circle Economy, who have been thinking about the future of electric vehicles. Continue readingTagged with: circular economy / elements / Guest Blog / resource / Transport
As part of our stand at the Resource show, The Great Recovery will be creating a ‘materials library’ to display waste materials that present solutions – or create problems – for recycling, reuse and remanufacturing. The focus of our Phase 2 programme is on the interrelationships between design, materials and waste, and the library will comprise a focus for discussion about the challenges and opportunities of product redesign. After the show, the display will form the start of a more permanent materials library installation that will be housed at our new innovation hub in Central London.
Do you have a clever recycling process that turns 80% of waste into shiny new materials? If so, we’d love to know about it. But we’d also like to know about the remaining 20%: why can’t that be recycled or reused? Is it toxic or contaminated, perhaps? Or just not financially worth it? Continue reading
Hal Rhoades explores the irony of the digital age – that as we have become more connected to the virtual world through tech gadgets, we have become disconnected from the real world where they are produced and disposed of. He highlights the ‘true costs’ of our technology, and suggests how we can do our bit to minimise the negative by-products of tech consumerism. Continue readingTagged with: consumption / e-waste / environmental damage / Gaia Foundation / Guest Blog / land grabs / obsolescence
Janet Gunter, from The Restart Project, explores the possibility that most of us are not obsessed with endless consumption of electronics, and would rather get more use out of the devices we currently own. She tells us how The Restart Project is helping people to do just that, and calls for greater attention from the broader industry on this growing but silent majority. Continue readingTagged with: community / e-waste / fixing / Guest Blog / The Restart Project
Nat Hunter, Co-Director of Design at the RSA and one of the founders of the Great Recovery project, introduces us to the new RSA Design project around Making.
There’s been widespread interest in new digital fabrication opportunities for quite a while now – and I’m not just talking about 3D printing a gun or 3D printing your face in chocolate. There are Hackspace, Makespaces, Techshops and Fablabs popping up all over the world, and books about the implications of what is being termed the next Industrial revolution.
Activity around micro-manufacturing techniques is emerging in lots of different disciplines – from educators to individuals to entrepreneurs, to make-spaces to manufacturers – and we’ve been thinking for a while that it would be mutually beneficial to connect all these disparate parties. After our FutureMakers day back in June, people told us how inspiring and useful it had been to connect with communities that they wouldn’t normally have access to. It turned out that the network that we created by bringing people together was the thing that was most valued. Continue readingTagged with: design / Guest Blog / Making / networks / rsa